The university recognises outstanding alumni through the Nanyang Alumni Awards. A bumper crop of 31 awards is given out this year.
The Nanyang Alumni Awards – NTU’s equivalent of the Oscars
– were presented to 31 luminary individuals for their exemplary achievements or significant contributions to the university.
They are recognised for having excelled in areas such as academia, research, public service, sports, science and technology.
One family of alumni – the Chen – was given a rare honour for their long-standing contribution to the university. The Nanyang Alumni Achievement Award was conferred by NTU on a family for the first time.
Guest-of-Honour Dr Ng Eng Hen, Minister for Education and Second Minister for Defence, presented the awards to the deserving alumni, along with NTU President Dr Su Guaning.
In his welcome address, Minister Ng singled out three eminent alumni, receiving the Nanyang Distinguished Alumni Award, for their service to society and mankind.
They were: Mr Chai Chong Yii, former Senior Minister of State for Education; Dr Teh Hoon Heng, a notable Mathematician; and Dr Chee Kheng Hoy, a world expert on rubber tree diseases.
The award presentation ceremony was held on NTU Alumni Night 2010
in conjunction with homecoming, on Saturday 23 October, at Nanyang Auditorium.
This year’s recipients, recognised by NTU in four award categories, were:Nanyang Distinguished Alumni Award
Nanyang Alumni Achievement Award
- Mr Chai Chong Yii (Commerce/Class of 1960)
- Dr Chee Kheng Hoy (Science/Class of 1962)
- Dr Teh Hoon Heng (Science/Class of 1960)
Nanyang Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Mr Chen Mong Tse (Science/Class of 1960), Ms Chen Mong Sing (Arts/Class of 1960) & Mdm Chai Chu Chun (Arts/Class of 1960)
- Mr Stephen Lim Nghee Huat (Commerce/Class of 1975)
- Mr Ng Joo Hee (NBS/Class of 1998)
- Ms Sophia Pang Soh Chui (NBS/Class of 1994)
- Mr Song Changrui (HSS/Class of 1999)
- Mr Yong Yuen Cheng (NIE/Class of 1997)
Nanyang Alumni Service Award
- Ms Cardoza Sharon Ann (NIE/Class of 1992)
- Ms Lynette Khoo Li Mian (WKWSCI/Class of 2006)
- Dr Lee Hui Mien (EEE/Class of 2009)
- Mr Loh Chee Kong (WKWSCI/Class of 2005)
- Mr Elisha Peterson Teo Soon Kwan (NBS/Class of 2006)
- Mdm Wong Lai Fong (NIE/Class of 1994)
- Dr Joel Yang Kwang Wei (EEE/Class of 2003)
- Mr Vincent Chan Tuck Seng (MAE/Class of 1996)
- Mr Chua Kok Chiow (CEE/Class of 1999)
- Mr Adrian Chye Choon Hoong (SCE/Class of 2004)
- Mr Heng Hiang Jin (Science/Class of 1977)
- Mr Melvin Lee Hua Qun (SCE/Class of 2006)
- Ms Li Dongxia (HSS/Class of 2001)
- Mr Lim Chee Kiong (NBS/Class of 2000)
- Mr Lim Peng Hun (EEE/Class of 1985)
- Mr Lim Thian Fatt (CEE/Class of 1989)
- Mr Lu Xuehe (NBS/Class of 2007)
- Mr Teng Teck Hou (SCE/Class of 2003)
- Ms Xu Lixia (NBS/Class of 2005)
- Mr Yuan Yetian (NBS/Class of 2006)
- Ms Adeline Yong Yean Pin (NIE/Class of 2000)
- Mr Hendri Zhang Weiqian (EEE/Class of 2007)
Please click here
for their citations.
To date, 156 alumni have been recognised since the award was first introduced in 2005 when NTU celebrated its 50th anniversary.© Alumni Affairs Office